International Studienkolleg Mainz
The International Studienkolleg of the Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz (Germany) is a preparatory facility which aims to prepare prospective students with foreign school-leaving certification for specific university major courses of study.
It aims to provide foreign student applicants whose foreign school-leaving certification does not comply with prerequisites for admission to a German university, with supplementary instruction and courses (usually for 2 terms = 1 year) to enable them to gain the additional knowledge and language skills required for their university courses of study. This instruction is particularly relevant to the beginning (undergraduate) phase of the intended university study.
The International Studienkolleg fulfills the purpose defined above for all the universities of the federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate (Germany).
Note: Recently we are strongly committed to strengthen e-learning and web based learning throughout all our curricula.
Key terms: preparatory school, university, study, international, foreign applicants, admission, e-learning, cultural contact
Coding could possibly be commissioned later with the winning designer. We plan to use Wordpress and/or Joomla as CMS. An integration with Moodle and a Wiki is also planned.
There will be opportunities for future work for the winning designer and others, who we feel do exceptional work.
- Foreign students interested in application for studies at german universities;
- Parents of the above students;
- Principals, headteachers and teachers of foreign schools;
- Visitors e.g. from other Studienkollegs, universities and federal state governments.
The “International Studienkolleg Mainz” is located in its own building close to the campus of the university. It is structured like a small-size school i.e., head, secretary, teachers (~ 25), instructors, janitor, students (~ 150 from about 20 foreign countries)
The website should have several functions:
- Provide our current students with all information about courses, dates, exams and living in germany/mainz.
- Provide foreign students, their parents and school principals with a complete info about what we offer.
- Description of the aims of the Studienkolleg and its structure.
- Detailed info about subjects, courses and learning material provided here
- Providing the teachers with info about meetings, lectures and conferences
- News section (teaser on frontpage?)
- Internal area (login) for the members to exchange information and documents
- Contact info, probably Newsletter
- Info area for our e-learning offerings viz. our e-learning platform (moodle)
Sites, the client likes:
Have a look here: http://www.sfb295.uni-mainz.de/hieg…ienkolleg/
Tagline: Not decided yet, use “Prepare for university” for now.
Final version should be submitted in fully layered Photoshop format easily convertible into a functioning HTML page.
The old site is here: http://www.uni-mainz.de/studienkolleg/
We require a homepage design and at least one subpage. Submit your design for the homepage first, and we will let you know if we would like you to continue with the subpages.
We like clear and concise designs with a fresh and modern look. No color theme decision yet, while we prefer a lively design using lucid color and images. We rely on your creativity! Whitespace is key.
I will give some favourite example sites later.
Keep in mind, that our students love social networking (Facebook et.al.).
Nice icons and Web 2.0 features (e.g. RSS) could be considered. We prefer sophisticated over too much bells and whistles.
A tabbed area may be usefull in the main content or a sidebar.
Central blocks or info boxes could be titled:
- Why Mainz
- Latest News
- How to apply
- Learning online
Menu items could be:
- Home, About us, Application, Admission, Courses, Schedule, Exams, Community, E-Learning
- News, Newsletter, Help, Contact
- Membership option/area and login form
- Language changing option (German, English)