Hello! I am looking for a designer who can capture the spirit of sacredness in my new book about grief and loss. The book is intended to be a path to healing from loss – big or small – using ancestral techniques and intentions methods. Because of the type of content of this book, it’s so very important that the book be visually appealing to keep the reader engaged, informed, and involved. I am looking for a design that has a sacred feel to it, that when people hold the book or open the book they feel like they're opening ancient text with information about how their lives can be healed. A book that has depth and texture to the pages.
The book will contain projects with each chapter as well as photos with step-by-step instructions. Each chapter needs a space for:
- Completed project image
- Chapter title
- Secondary title
- 1-2 pages of chapter text
- A separate, distinct outcropped space for a description about why the project is being made (reference to which ancestral technique we are using and why)
- Step-by-step project boxes that can be moved to have 4 boxes or up to 8 boxes based on project difficulty
- Room for a one or two short instruction sentences under the step-by-step project boxes **OR** the step-by-step boxes with numbered steps in the text (see pics for examples)
- Box outcrop for “Materials” list
- Box outcrop for “Tips” (to help with project completion or offer an alternative working method)
- Box outcrop for “Quote”
- Numbered pages
- Book size is 8.5 x 11 with ¼ bleeds around the page for my printer
I also need the following three pages to match the theme design:
- Book interior title page
- Table of contents page
- Appendix cover page
After the text is laid out and photography has been finished, I’ll need a book front/back cover and will propose that under a separate project. I would love to work with the same designer for both projects for continuity of the design.
I am laying the book out in QuarkXpress 2016, so am hoping that you, too, are familiar with this software. If not, you could use Photoshop layers and I can pull each piece separately into Quark. Either way, I have to be able to manipulate the pieces to crossover to Quark. For the final files, I will need to be able to move around pieces that you create just in case something doesn’t fit exactly as the example you create (ie, the page writing is 3 pages instead of 2 or I have to add an extra project step box), so please consider this movability in your design. Finally, I will need copies of the fonts we agree to.
I have attached samples of designs from other books just to give you an idea of what I’ve been rambling about. :-) I am by no means saying to duplicate, I want your wonderful creative style to show through!
I have also attached sample images from DepositPhotos that can be used as placeholders. I have an account with DP, but these images have not been purchased and still show the watermark.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to working with you!