We are a couple of engineers, launching a startup company that will bring together hourly car rentals ( like zipcar ), and social networking ( like facebook ), and sharing ( like kindergarten? ) - i.e. MotorShare.
The vision is that ordinary people will use our product to share their cars with their friends, neighbors, etc. - and they'll be paid for it. This will result in less people needing to own cars, which is good for the environment for many obvious reasons.
We'll sell the hardware ( we call it a MotorBrain ), and supply the web service ( MotorShare.org ). Our customers will put the MotorBrain in their cars, and people in their networks will be able to use the cars.
So, the culture is a little bit gear-head, a little bit environmental / green; a little bit technical / open source, a little bit entrepreneurial.
At this point we have three target audiences:
1) Car Owners - We want them to use our product to share their cars with their friends, and be paid for it.
2) Friends of Car Owners - We want them to sign up with our service, so they can use their friends cars, and pay them for it.
3) Investors - We're seeking venture funding, so we want a logo that projects a smart / professional / fun identity to potential investors.
This project has VERY basic requirements!
1) Read the descriptions of who we are, the target audience, & etc. above. We need your creativity to help us express what we're trying to do with this project!
1a) The brand is Motorshare , not Motorshare.org / .com / etc.
2) No auto-generated stuff or templates from other sources / sites - we're looking to start a relationship with a real designer who can help us with more stuff in the future.
3) We want a Logo which works in different situation. I.e. would be suitable for putting on a business card, coffee mug, t-shirt, bumper sticker, etc.
3a) I think that means, things that CAN be rendered in fewer colors are better. That doesn't mean that we don't want colors, we love colors! But, everything else being equal, if two designs are equally fabulous, the one that also works in black & white, or works at a lower res, will win. If this doesn't make sense please contact me,
4) We want to design a website around this logo ( and we might need some CSS help with this...). So the color palette should be workable on the web.
5) We'd like the winning entry delivered as vector images, so we can scale up / down as necessary.
6) The attached file shows the logo i made up for the development website. It need not be a starting point, your design can totally ignore it, etc. If it dampens your creativity totally ignore it!